Endodontics is a specific branch of dentistry that deals with the inside structures of the teeth. These include the nerves, tissues, pulp, and arterioles that keep the teeth alive and strong.
When a tooth suffers serious trauma from an injury or disease, a dentist with endodontic training can perform specialized treatments to save the tooth and prevent extraction.
These are the most common causes of inner tooth damage:
- Fractures and chips – When a tooth breaks, the nerves and pulp may be exposed. This causes debilitating pain and discomfort that only root canal therapy can resolve.
- Bacterial infections – After a tooth experiences decay or injury, oral bacteria quickly invade the interior
structure of the tooth to cause severe inflammation and infection. This requires root canal therapy to remove infected tissues and save the tooth.
- Injuries – Endodontists use special techniques to stabilize teeth after they’ve been shifted or
dislodged from their sockets.
At Sycamore Dental we offer root canal therapy and root canal retreatment for patients suffering these types of difficult oral complications.
Root Canal Therapy
The root canal is the hollow section of each tooth that holds blood vessels, nerves, and pulp cells. Root canal therapy is often necessary when the root canal becomes damaged by injury or decay. During root canal therapy, the living tissues, nerves, bacteria, and decay are removed and replaced with a special medicated dental material called gutta percha.
This process makes it possible to save a tooth that would otherwise die and cause extreme pain in the mouth. As a common and standard procedure, root canal therapy is highly successful and usually lasts a lifetime.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, contact Us to request more information about root canal therapy:
- Sudden and severe pain , especially around a specific tooth
- Extreme sensitivity to hot and cold
- Pain when chewing
- Swelling and tenderness
- Abscess on the gums
By removing the damaged, infected inner structures of your teeth and replacing them with a safe material, root canal therapy at Sycamore Dental prevents tooth loss, eliminates pain, and keeps your smile whole.
Root Canal Retreatment
Root canal therapy has a high rate of success, but like every medical procedure, some people experience post-surgical complications that make retreatment necessary.
If you’re experiencing trouble with a previous root canal, we will help resolve the issue by removing the previous crown and gutta percha, re-cleansing the root canal of your tooth, and carefully refilling and sealing the tooth.
This is a much better alternative to tooth extraction, especially if your damaged tooth has solid bone support and healthy gums. These signs may indicate that you need to call Us for root canal retreatment:
- Cracked crown from old root canal
- New decay in treated tooth
- Fracture in treated tooth
- Sudden pain and discomfort in treated tooth
You don’t have to suffer in silence!